Where do the poor people live?
After moving here and finding a decent place to live, at two or three times the rent back in Florida, I started exploring the area even more.
What I noticed was that people's "homes" were really townhomes. Also, these "homes" were going for ALOT more than REAL homes back in Florida. I mean, the price of a townhome in Northern Virginia would buy 1.75+ homes in Florida or even a mansion. Seriously.
Another thing that I noticed was that there were alot of different ethnicities here. This is great! I would never have guessed that I would find many Hispanics, Middle Eastern, and Asians here in the DC area. Afterall, when I think of DC, I think of all the staunchy white politicians.
America's 5 Most and Least Expensive Cities
And besides metropolitan areas, the ACCRA also ranks 314 urban areas. Those with the highest cost of living are:
* New York-Wayne-White Plains, NY-NJ—171.0
* Los Angeles-Long Beach-Glendale, CA —148.8
* Oakland-Fremont-Hayward, CA—143.8
* San Diego-Carlsbad-San Marcos, CA—139.8
* Washington-Arlington-Alexandra, DC-VA-MD-WV—138.8
* Newark-Union, NJ-PA—132.9
* Edison, NJ—131.4
* Seattle, WA—122.9
* Philadelphia, PA—120.8
* Chicago-Naperville-Joliet, IL—118.0
ACCRA is a non-profit organization that researches community and economic development.
So, after seeing and thinking about all of this, I'm left wondering...
Where do the poor people live?

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home